Waiting on the world to change...

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

9 weeks

Today was our first appointment at Nativiti. Justin surprised me by deciding he wanted to come along! I met Katherine who will be my midwife although she is about to have her own baby so for the next few visits I will be with one of the other midwives. Katherine will be back in plenty of time for my delivery though!

They drew blood today and I handled it without any issues! They took 5 vials of blood and I didn't even have a problem. I was very proud of myself, to be honest. They will do all of the normal tests -- blood type, Rh, STD and HIV screenings, and all of that. I also decided to do the Cystic Fibrosis screening, although it would have no impact on anything. I did decide not to do the early screenings for Downs because it's another thing that wouldn't make a difference for us. After we did blood, we went over nutrition and other information, and then since we wouldn't be able to hear the heartbeat with the doppler she asked if we wanted to go next door to the ultrasound room and see the baby!

We were able to see the baby who looked like a little gummy bear. We saw the heartbeat and just how much the baby was moving! We then were able to have a vaginal ultrasound to get a clearer picture and hear the heartbeat! The baby measured 8 weeks and 6 days. According to the Bump, the baby is about the size of a green olive now! It was a great appointment and I scheduled my next one for June 9th which is the first week school is out for the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment