Waiting on the world to change...

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

13 weeks, 4 days

Today was my second appointment at Nativiti. I met Karen, another midwife who works there and who I will be seeing until Katherine is back from her maternity leave. All of my bloodwork came back great and I found out that my blood type is A positive. I never knew this so it's great to know!

My mom went with me so she could hear the heartbeat. It was another surreal experience to hear the heartbeat on the Doppler! But it was so amazing. The heartbeat was 130 bpm and such a beautiful sound! My due date has also been moved back a bit to December 11th, so now I'm only 13 weeks and 4 days pregnant but still in 2nd trimester. I'm feeling pretty good these days and that's what is important!

The heartbeat got me thinking about old wives tales about the sex of the baby and my mom and I were talking about them. They have a 50/50 chance of being right so I figured it would be interesting to look at a few!

Will the new moon be a girl or a boy?
According to the Chinese Gender Chart on the Bump, I'm having a girl.

They say that if the baby's heart rate is above 140, then it's a girl. If below, then it's a boy. So as of this morning, that would point to a boy.

The Mayan tale adds the mothers age at conception and the year of conception. If the result is a even number then mom is having a girl. If the result is an odd number then a boy is on the way! According to this, we are having a girl.

People believe that if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, you can count on having a boy. If you crave sweets, fruit, and orange juice, you are having a little girl. For me, this would point to a girl.

I tried the "eye test" which I'd never heard of before. The eye test is when a “V” or “branches” appear when you pull down the skin under your left eye. If you see a “V” or “branches” in the white part, you’re having a girl. I have a “V”, so one more point for a girl.

If you eat the ends of bread, it’s a boy. If you eat the middle of the load, it’s a girl. I’ve never liked the ends of bread and always have eaten from the middle! Another point for a little girl.

If you had a smooth pregnancy with no morning sickness, it’s a boy. If you were sick or felt really nauseous during your pregnancy, count on a girl. During first trimester I didn't throw up, but I’ve been extremely nauseous more often than not. So another point in the girl column.

Those are all I looked up so far and based on those it looks like the count is: girl, 6; boy, 1.

We also have some predictions in from friends and family. My mom thinks a girl. Justin thinks a girl. April says girl. But Genna says boy. Who will be correct?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your pregnancy!
    As you know from my blog http://raisingmy4sons.com I am pregnant with my 5th baby, but didn't find out the sex this time after already having 4 boys! I have to say though that all of my boys I was so very sick when pregnant. (To the point that I was dehydrated and getting IV treatments in hospital several times a week.) However, with this one I haven't been NEAR as sick. I'm not saying it's a girl, but it was opposite for me this time. I thought that was fun and I might have to try some of the sites out that you suggested to see what they come up with for me! Thanks and Best of luck on your pregnancy! :)

    ReplyDelete